Aller au contenu
AIR-DEFENSE.NET

BAe et leurs U(C)AVs

Invité Rob

Messages recommandés

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_aerospacedaily_story.jsp?id=news/BAE02166.xml

BAE Systems Detailing UCAV Research Efforts

By Douglas Barrie

02/16/2006 09:29:17 AM

LONDON -- BAE Systems is beginning to detail previously classified unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) research efforts, including flying a representative low observable air vehicle.

BAE first flew a UCAV demonstrator, dubbed Raven, in late 2003. The low observable design is part of the company's wider work into UCAV technology for the British Defense Ministry.

Two Raven carbon-fiber composite airframes have been built and flown. Test flights of the jet-powered UCAV demonstrator were carried out in Australia at the Woomera Range. Radar cross-section reduction is a key element of the airframe design. The air intake is mounted on top of the fuselage, with control surfaces on the wing aligned with the trailing edge. The airframe is a flying-wing configuration, with no vertical or horizontal tail surfaces.

British Defense Ministry interest in UCAV technology first emerged as part of its Future Offensive Air System (FOAS) program. The effort was intended to identify capabilities to fulfill the deep strike role now provided by the Royal Air Force's Tornado GR4. FOAS has since been succeeded by the Strategic Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Experiment) (SUAVE) -- which Raven feeds into.

SUAVE will be the focus of additional UCAV work, including a further technology demonstrator program. A UCAV capability will form an element of the U.K.'s future deep strike capability, though the timeframe for its entry into service is likely 2015-2020.

Along with examining the design and manufacture of an Low Observable UCAV design, the Raven was also used to develop and test a digital flight control system for the aerodynamically unstable design. The Raven is fully autonomous from takeoff to landing, with the flight control system providing the air vehicle with considerable maneuverability.

The Raven's central fuselage is common with that of BAE's Corax program. This is a sub-scale design of a strategic surveillance UAV -- though its wingspan is still in excess of 10 meters. Corax first flew at Woomera in early 2005. Part of the trials were to examine the flight characteristics of the finless high-aspect ration wing design, in part to avoid the kind of control problems encountered by the U.S. Darkstar program.

Along with electro-optical payloads, the Corax configuration lends itself to the carriage of a large conformal array antenna on the wing.

The company is not only working on UCAV and strategic reconnaissance applications. Its Herti family is intended to develop a range of tactical long-endurance UAVs. The Herti has an operational radius of 540 nautical miles and is capable of flying at altitudes of 20,000 feet. A number of Herti air vehicle designs are also being flight-tested.

• Réponses 462
  • Created
  • Dernière réponse

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what you mean. I would actually say it is very far from any PR thingy as BAe worked on these classified programmes for years in the dark [in contrast to more public programmes such as Dassault/Saab Neuron and EADS Barracuda which were known to the public years before first flight (Neuron) or shortly before (Barracuda)]. I think they are coming out now because MoD/BAe are progressing well on negotiations for the new UCAV so they can sort off show what they did in the past. But perhaps I misunderstood you.

Ah do you mean like Replica to show to the USA that the UK can still do "it"? If yes then I agree partly. These programmes are partly company funded and BAe certainly will want to gain exports for them. A side effect might be that the US will have a more positive approach to the Tech transfer. But I don't think that that is their main aim (unlike Replica).

I personally think BAe is trying to build up a comprehensive UAV/UCAV capability at the moment they have:

Two UCAVs of one design --> Raven

One strategic UAV with 10+ Metres wing span ----> Corax

A family of tactical UAVs -----> Herti

UK commitment to a new UCAV demonstrator

A few other well known programmes such as Eclipse and Flaviir

I don't understand what you mean. I would actually say it is very far from any PR thingy as BAe worked on these classified programmes for years in the dark [in contrast to more public programmes such as Dassault/Saab Neuron and EADS Barracuda which were known to the public years before first flight (Neuron) or shortly before (Barracuda)]. I think they are coming out now because MoD/BAe are progressing well on negotiations for the new UCAV so they can sort off show what they did in the past. But perhaps I misunderstood you.

About Neuron, the program was preceeded by the Petit Duc flight that was a real surprise. All those Bae programs don't look many more advanced than the Petit Duc, that's why I spoke about "public-relation" programs. Brittish seems to be hurry to caught partners to fund their own UCAV because they are a bit late. I remember an article from a senior Bae member calling for an european upraising in UCAV (complaining about an "UCAV absance" in Europe will) reseach when Neuron was already launched by Dassault and Saab just joined it.

La Suède, l’Italie, l’Espagne, la Grèce, la Suisse et la France ont décidé d’unir leurs efforts pour la réalisation d’un démonstrateur de drone de combat appelé Neuron.

Ces pays ont choisi de mettre en commun leurs compétences industrielles et technologiques dans le but de garantir l’autonomie européenne dans le domaine de l’aéronautique militaire, en renforçant les synergies entre les entreprises du secteur.

About Neuron, the program was preceeded by the Petit Duc flight that was a real surprise. All those Bae programs don't look many more advanced than the Petit Duc, that's why I spoke about "public-relation" programs. Brittish seems to be hurry to caught partners to fund their own UCAV because they are a bit late. I remember an article from a senior Bae member calling for an european upraising in UCAV (complaining about an "UCAV absance" in Europe will) reseach when Neuron was already launched by Dassault and Saab just joined it.

Well Corax has a more than 10 metres long wing span. I personally think Corax/Raven are more advanced than Petit Duc (which iirc flew in 2000 just three years before Raven). Corax is very large (wing span at least), has full autonomy (unlike Petit Duc iirc) and is stealthy. It seems to be indicated in the article that it also is designed to carry a useful payload. So whist Raven is probably more advaned than Petit duc it is less advanced than Neuron, but then there'll be a new UK UCAV programme. Really with all these U©AVs around I think the UK is on the same level as France.

I also don't think the UK is looking for partners, if JSF has told us anything then to just rely on yourself.

Ah do you mean like Replica to show to the USA that the UK can still do "it"?

If yes then I agree partly. These programmes are partly company funded and BAe certainly will want to gain exports for them. A side effect might be that the US will have a more positive approach to the Tech transfer. But I don't think that that is their main aim (unlike Replica).

I'm ok with you on the US side of the problem, the need for britishs to be considered by US as a "serious partner"... and free to fly away, just if...

They have to demonstrate that they are still a key player.

sachant que les Allemands sont peu favorable a une tranche 3 pour l'eurofighter,qu'il ont leur propre programme D'UCAV. BAE et le MOD vont t'ils eux aussi se resoudre a cesser la plaisanterie et ne pas mettre en route une tranche 3 de l'ef. a la place il lanceront leur propre programme d'ucav.

I'll tell you in this forum too. This has nothing to do with Typhoon. The fact that France is developing Neuron does not mean they are only buying 200 Rafales. France will develop Neuron and build 294 Rafales, just like UK/Germany etc.. buying their 638 Typhoons and building UCAVs. These UCAVs being developed now are for replacing the Tornados in a decade or so.

Petit aparté : La politesse et la bienséance veulent que lorsqu'on s'inscrit sur un forum francophone ,on s'exprime dans la langue de Molière et non dans celle de shakespeare :lol: En ce qui concerne les programmes des drones ,les américains viennent d'abandonner le programme J-UCAS (Joint Unmanned Combat Air System) alors quid de l'avenir des Neuron ,des SAAB Filur ,Corax ,Raven.

I'll tell you in this forum too. This has nothing to do with Typhoon. The fact that France is developing Neuron does not mean they are only buying 200 Rafales. France will develop Neuron and build 294 Rafales, just like UK/Germany etc.. buying their 638 Typhoons and building UCAVs. These UCAVs being developed now are for replacing the Tornados in a decade or so.

Rob ,ni ton gouvernement ni le notre n'ont encore avalisés les prochaines commandes ,le MoD n'a pas commandé la tranche 3 des typhoon.

La DGA n'a pas notifié de commandes supplémentaires de Rafale.

Nous en avons seulement commandé 120 sur 294.

Si les allemands songent à se doter de 180 typhoon et envisagent de développer un UCAV ,si UK veulent 232 typhoon et développer un UCAV ,c'est légitime mais absurde quand les politiques parlent d'Europe d'armement (c'est un anglais qui en est le chairman de l'agence européenne de l'armement) et de défense.

I've no doubt that Bae is able to design something really close to look like an UCAV, but about the ability to drive alone such an ambitius revolution in the air affair, I doubt seriously. Even a program like Neuron or X-45 seem to be far from to be fully operationnal.

Actually, EADS Germany seems to be on a par with BAe about UCAV.

Well let's see. Of course these UCAVs are far from operational but BAe is moving on this front and that is good. :) IMO Dassault, EADS Militärflugzeuge, BAe and Saab are broadly on par in UCAVs at the moment.

Partner to teach them the job, certainly not but partner to pay for the devlopment, certainly yes...

Well perhaps they have the Saudis? :? But seriously I think BAe/MoD could do it on their own, BAe makes 1 Billion Pounds profit every years, they just have to divert a bit of that into UCAV research (assisted by MoD/DTI)

Well let's see. Of course these UCAVs are far from operational but BAe is moving on this front and that is good. :) IMO Dassault, EADS Militärflugzeuge, BAe and Saab are broadly on par in UCAVs at the moment.

I gessed that Neuron was a bit ahead and a bit more internationnal (but in the good way, with a head to drive)

Well perhaps they have the Saudis? :? But seriously I think BAe/MoD could do it on their own, BAe makes 1 Billion Pounds profit every years, they just have to divert a bit of that into UCAV research (assisted by MoD/DTI)

Due to the BAe politic of profit maybe are you a bit optimist, but you are right: wait to see.

*UK reveals details of six new UAV programmes

An intensive secret programme of development work on a series of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) has been disclosed by BAE Systems. The company said in...

17-Feb-2006

http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Even if we count Raven, Corax and Herti as three of these programmes there are three new ones. Perhaps they are different configurations perhaps new. 8)

http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Even if we count Raven, Corax and Herti as three of these programmes there are three new ones. Perhaps they are different configurations perhaps new. 8)

Can you point the differences of those sorts, please?

At least for the three firsts, i gessed that Corax and Raven were the same.

Okay here is what I know:

Raven was first flown in secret in Australia in late 2003. It has the same fuselage as Corax but it's wings are different as it is a UCAV demonstrator. Two were built, if these have differences, it is not known.

Corax is a "highly survivable" strategic UAV, it's fuselage has the same design as the Raven fuselage but it's wings are optimised for level flying. It's wingspan is more than 10 Metres. Corax is descirbed as sub-scale so a full demonstrator, which AFAIK has not been built yet would be larger. My guess is that Corax is aiming for the RAFs Project Dabinett to replace the UK'S Canberra Recon aircraft.

Herti is a family of tactical UAVs of which only Herti 1A is known to the public. It's range is apparently 540 nm (nearly 1000km) and max flkight level is 20000 feet.

Now Janes is saying BAe has 6 new UAV programmes, my guess is that they are counting Corax, Herti and Raven as three, so there are three of which we do not know, this might include the other versions of Herti (remember it's a family) or perhaps other U©AVs.

EDIT: Janes article, first posted:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/211833/

UK reveals details of six new UAV programmes

MARK DALY Editor Jane's International Defence Review

London

* The UK has developed six completely new UAV systems

* The aircraft use an autonomous mission system

* Herti-1A made the first UK autonomous flight of an unmanned aerial system in UK airspace in 2005

An intensive secret programme of development work on a series of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) has been disclosed by BAE Systems.

The company said in London on 16 February that six completely new UAV systems have been tested in the UK and Australia over a three-year period.

The disclosure was partly prompted by the emergence of the Defence Industrial Strategy document at the end of 2005, which in turn had led to the limited release of some photographs of a UAV demonstrator called Corax.

Now BAE has reported that proof of concept work has been conducted since 2001 on advanced configuration air vehicles with a blended wing body design and a flush air data system and advanced flight control systems. The design, which emerged from this process was called Kestrel. This design then led to two further experimental air vehicles called Raven and Corax.

A main feature of these vehicles was the use of an autonomous mission system. This system was next integrated into an existing airframe, Herti-D, a Polish composite glass-fibre design from J&AS Aero, purchased by BAE Systems.

With the new mission system, Herti-1A emerged and it was this air vehicle that made the first fully autonomous flight of an unmanned system in UK airspace. This was completed on 18 August 2005 from Campbeltown Airport in Scotland, starting with a mouse click command to start the flight, leading to an autonomous mission over Machrihanish Bay and finishing with an automatic landing.

The particular significance of this flight, say the company, was that it was made from an operational commercial airport rather than from a military base, or on a closed missile range. The UK Civil Aviation Authority authorised the test flight with Herti-1A carrying a B-class registration (an aircraft registration allocated to manufacturers for test flights).

Herti-1A is the main focus of the company's near-term plan, with civil/military applications such as coastal watch duties, border surveillance and pipeline patrol being sought. By the end of this year 10 air vehicles will be completed, two powered by BMW engines and the rest with quieter four-cylinder Rotax turbocharged fuel injection motors. The company claims that the small Herti airframe is "virtually invisible at 5,000 ft".

Sensors can comprise three cameras integrated into BAE System's Imagery Collection and Exploitation System payload package.

To summarise it: Kestrel (Blended Wing Body, autonomy) led to Raven (stealthy UCAV, fully autonomous) and Corax (strategic stealth UAV with full autonomy) Herti: 10 to be built by end of 2006, probably soon to be bought by countries etc... about 1000 km range, 20000ft max height, "nearly invisible" at 5000 feet.

Here even more information plus the first picture of a UAV which could be Raven (AWST calls it Raven):

Image IPB

Image IPB

Link:

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_awst_story.jsp?id=news/022006p2.xml

OUT OF THE SHADOWS

Britain, working under a blanket of secrecy, has been test-flying an unmanned combat air vehicle demonstrator since late 2003 as part of a broader technology initiative to develop its next-generation of long-range deep-strike platforms.

The BAE Systems Raven low-observable unmanned combat air vehicle design first flew on Dec. 17, 2003--100 years to the day after the Wright Brothers--a date selected in part to reflect the significance of the event for the company's future strategy.

The import of the British Defense Ministry's clearance for BAE to begin to discuss the Raven also plays into the far wider issue of U.K. collaboration in developing an operational UCAV. Britain had signed up for Washington's now defunct Joint-Unmanned Combat Air System, with a transatlantic acquisition program likely to follow. Continuing--and, some British sources suggest, worsening--problems with British access on the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program also play into this arena.

Raven underscores the U.K.'s national capability in UCAV developments--and that it is not beholden to Washington, or for that matter, anywhere--in pursuing such systems. A full-scale UCAV technology demonstration program is due to be launched by London this year, building on Raven, and other, still classified, research and development work.

Defense Ministry sources have previously confirmed the U.K. is funding the development of what they dubbed "nugget technologies" that would provide the government "leverage" in any collaborative environment. Examples of such technology include low observables (LO), autonomous operation and sensor integration.

TWO RAVEN AIRFRAMES HAVE BEEN BUILT and test flown using the Woomera Range in Australia. The choice of site reflects the sensitivity surrounding the program, while also providing near-guaranteed acceptable flying weather.

The Defense Ministry has been funding BAE's LO research into future air systems since at least the early 1990s. Initially aimed at a manned replacement for the Tornado GR4 strike aircraft, through the Testbed stealth aircraft non-flying demonstrator, the emphasis began to shift to LO UCAV and unmanned recon air vehicle platforms even before the Testbed program was completed in 1999. BAE's Nightjar I and Nightjar II ministry-funded research examined a number of airframe bodies using the company's radar cross-section range at its Warton site.

The jet-powered Raven's blended wing-body airframe, with outer wing control surfaces aligned with the trailing edge, reduces radio-frequency scattering. The lack of vertical or horizontal control surfaces also helps reduce the radar cross-section.

The vehicle is manufactured from carbon-fiber composite, with the fuselage shell produced at BAE's Samlesbury site in the northwest of England. This facility also produces composite structures for the F-35.

Raven fed into BAE's work on the Defense Ministry's Future Offensive Air System (FOAS) program. In 1997, the ministry launched study work into the role a "UAV" might have in meeting the FOAS deep-strike mission. The Strategic UAV (Experiment) (SUAVE) succeeded FOAS in 2005. Rolls-Royce and Smiths Aerospace also are involved in ongoing risk-reduction work for the ministry on SUAVE, building on the Raven.

BAE flew a remotely piloted blended-wing demonstrator, the Kestrel, in 2002, Andy Wilson, BAE director of sales, autonomous airborne systems, says. Raven, however, was intended to explore autonomous flight operation using a "highly aerodynamically unstable" airframe. The UCAV demonstrator has a duplex digital flight control system.

BAE is exploring modularity in its approach to UCAV/URAV and UAVs. Raven shares the same central fuselage shell as the Corax strategic reconnaissance URAV design, with a common flight control system. Corax, however, has a high-aspect ratio wing optimized for high-altitude long-endurance flight. Such a wing also lends itself to being fitted with a conformal array radar antenna, if blending and flexing issues can be resolved. As with Raven, the airframe was aerodynamically unstable, and part of the program was to look at autonomous control of such a design. Similar schemes, such as the U.S. Darkstar, have suffered controllability issues.

Both Raven and Corax are sub-scale airframes--and although the company is unable yet to release size data on either air vehicle, Corax has a 30-ft.-plus wingspan.

A Corax-style URAV could form a part of the Dabinett requirement. This program is looking at the U.K.'s future intelligence surveillance target acquisition and reconnaissance (Istar) needs. Part of this covers what is sometimes referred to as the Long-Range Long-Endurance or global surveillance capability that could be fulfilled by a strategic low-observable UAV. Research into space-based radar is also ongoing.

SUAVE cuts across two of the Defense Ministry's Equipment Capability Directorates, Deep Target Attack and Istar. The Deep Target Attack directorate has asked that industry examine a number of UCAV-related areas, both in terms of design and development, and operations.

While Raven and Corax are sub-scale airframes, industry and ministry officials are discussing whether the next-technology demonstrator should be a full-scale airframe. This program would include an internal weapons carriage and deployment. One point under review is whether a full-size UCAV airframe is actually necessary to achieve this.

The government's Defense Industrial Strategy policy document, published in December 2005, notes: "Building on the success of these programs [Raven] we intend to move forward . . . with a more substantial TDP designed to give us and industry a better understanding of key technologies of [broader] relevance to UAVs and UCAVs."

BAE is not only focusing on UCAV and URAV development. Its Herti family of air vehicles is intended to provide a medium-altitude long-endurance surveillance capability. The Herti 1A design has endurance well in excess of 25 hr., and an operational radius of more than 540 naut. mi., says Wilson. This version of Herti has a wingspan of 41 ft., with a glass-fiber fuselage. The system becomes autonomous on the runway.

HERTI HAS BEEN TEST FLOWN with an electro-optical payload in a chin-mounted turret, and flight trials using lightweight synthetic aperture radar will likely be carried out later this year, Wilson adds. Rail-launch trials of the vehicle are also being considered. The system uses image-processing algorithms to automatically identify areas, or objects, of interest, as part of its imagery collection and exploitation system.

The company believes Herti, which has been flying from Machrihanish in southwest Scotland, has clear applications for military and civil surveillance roles.

I don't know why you're making fun of it. IMO it is more advanced than anything European that has flown in yet [assuming Barracuda hasn't yet, though that might not be more advanced).